Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Why does it seem that men and women in the past were more elegant and the clothes made better?

I love studying fashion history. Is it my imagination or did people seem to look better in the past? Even as recently as the 1950's, clothes seem more elegant; buttons sewn on properly, straight seams, etc. I have seen photos where everyone has great posture, the hair is combed; they just seem to look nicer. What happened to fashion and appearance standards?|||Renovation seems to become more and more of a comfort style or at least build around it. As time went on and women gained more rights their only resort to being painfully beautiful to gain male attention seemed less necessary. I did a huge project on women's fashion of the Victorian age and showed it to about ninety other students. I reinact in San Juan Bautista's State Historic Park and do very much appreciate the style of the civil war era (1850's and 60's). I have been to 1920's completely authentic conventions and many Victorian balls. For about eight hours a month I do live the 1800's including cooking, sewing, dancing, ect. I have been on old ships, everything period correct. You should try it. Though from personal experience as beautiful the outfit may be corset is deadly I assure you. Thank god for the cage crinoline (hoop skirt invented in 1856) rather then the six heavy and hot petty coats. I'm glad to know that there are others who share my interest of Victorian and Edwardian clothing.


http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=563


http://www.san-juan-bautista.ca.us/|||i think that too..





like the immigrants that came to the us and stuff had really proper clothes, like hats and proper clothes that werent too loose or too tight. and now no one seems to know how to dress themselves anymore.|||The answer to your question people are way more liberal now a days than back then. The sixties is what changed it all. I don't see anything wrong with the styles of today because they always come back around. I never thought skinny leg jeans would ever come back.|||You're absolutely right. Ppl were far better-groomed and elegant all the way up to the 70's. My fave were the 60's. What happened to fashion standards is- MTV and Christina Aguilera's durrrty look. Ppl now think it's ok to look like crack-whores. N it's NOT ok. Always be diff. Also...back then, ppl understood LESS skin=MORE sexy!|||I totally agree with you, I think that it was because clothing was only made once and were unique unlike now a day clothes are made in huge numbers so they don't really care much for the quality unlike before.

No comments:

Post a Comment